At Pudding Lady we cook all our Christmas puddings using the traditional boil and hang in the bag method.
But if you are looking for a great easy steamed christmas pudding recipe, try this one out.
Christmas Pudding Recipe – Ingredients
1 cup (220g) firmly packed brown sugar
1kg (5 cups) mixed dried fruit
300g sour cream
2 ¼ cups (335) plain flour
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
Christmas Pudding Recipe – Method
1. Grease 1.75 litre ( 7 cup) pudding steamer
2. Beat eggs and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until thick and creamy.
3. Add egg mixture to mixed fruit in large bowl; stir in sour cream and sifted dry ingredients.
4. Spoon pudding mixture into steamer. Place 30cm x 40cm sheet of foil on bench, grease foil; top with sheet of baking paper. Fold 5cm pleat crossways through the centre of both sheets.
5. Place sheets, baking paper-side-down, over steamer, secure with lid or string, make a handle with excess string. Crush surplus foil and baking paper firmly around rim to help form a good seal.
6. Place pudding in large boiler with enough boiling water to come halfway up the side of steamer. Cover boiler with tight lid; steam 5 hours. Replenish boiling water as necessary to maintain level during cooking. Stand pudding 15 minutes before turning out. Cool.
7. Wrap pudding in plastic wrap then place in an airtight container or freezer bag.
Christmas Pudding Recipe – Timing
Preparation time 30 minutes
(Plus standing and cooling time)
Cooking time 5 hours
Tip: Refrigerate christmas pudding for up to three months or freeze for 12 months.
This christmas pudding recipe can be boiled in a cloth or steamed in a basin.